Monday

Gas Crisis?

Leaving Fort Nelson this morning - B driving and we see a sign "Check Gas - Next Gas 110 KM". B says "I think we have enough till then" and I agree so, on we go. 65 or so miles later we see a sign "Check Gas - Next Gas 100 KM" and right after it, a Shell station. B pulls in and up to the pump. As I am getting out I notice the dark office, dirty windows and then debris around the door. Uh-uh...it's closed! Well, it's further to go back then forward so, I take the wheel and on we go. B and I discuss, what if the next place is out of business too? Nothing we can do now.
50 or so miles later "Bing" and my reserve light goes on....10 miles or so further we see the station ahead and pull up behind a motor home also pulling up to the pump. That driver gets out, looks at the pump and walks back to my window. "No Gas" he says. I get out and look at the pump and see a sign "No Gas, next gas North 100 miles, South 13 miles". Yipes. Well, still no decision to make so, on we go. About another 13 miles and we see a station ahead and wonder if they will have gas or if everyone like us who couldn't get it further north has emptied the stations tanks. Luckily, as we limp in we see the one pump has gas. Whew! The Alaskan Highway is still an adventurous place!

No comments:

Post a Comment