We woke up to heavy clouds but no rain so high tailed it over to Lake Fort Smith State Park to hike the Ozark Highlands Trail for a couple of hours. The area is beautiful and the hike was great. Afterwards we cleaned up as best we could and headed west arriving in Oklahoma City around 4, in time to visit the memorial museum for the Oklahoma Bombing in 1995. It is a fascinating place with not only accounts of the event, the victims and the survivors but also extensive amounts of the actual evidence collected. If you recall the case was solved quickly due to the police finding the axle from the rented van and tracing the VIN back to the renter - Timothy McVeigh. Well, the axle is in the museum, as is the gun McVeigh was carrying when arrested and many other similar items. After almost 2 hours I was pretty emotionally drained and after we left B mentioned that she had been anxious to leave too for the same reasons. The Oklahoma bombing was a horrible tragedy but I believe B and I were more affected by 2001 NYC bombings and, once the memorial for that is opened, I'm not sure I will ever want to visit it. Based on the feelings the Oklahoma museum evoked, I'm not sure I would want to endure what the NYC museum might bring up.
We're now at an RV park outside Gutherie OK., a town renowned for the amount of Victorian houses. We'll tour the town tomorrow, head back to see some more of Oklahoma City and then head west to Red River Canyon State Park for, hopefully, some more hiking.
Monday
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment